Monday, April 27, 2009

Sweet Are the Uses of Adversity...

Fujiko silently wept on her best friend Miranda’s shoulder. Miranda gently pet Fujiko’s hair, whispering, over and over,
“It’s OK, Fujiko. It’ll be OK… It’ll be OK…” Fujiko nestled closer to her friend.
“Why does it always happen like this?” she sobbed silently. They were on the bus for the choir trip; at last they were headed home. She tried to stay quiet so no one would know what was wrong.
“You did what was good for you, baby. Don’t worry… it’ll be OK…”
“I don’t like hurting the guys I date. And I really thought I loved him… but I can’t take him being so far away for so long all the time anymore. I couldn’t take how different we were… he needs to learn things that are common sense for me. I can’t help him… I’ve tried, I really have. I did love him, Miranda, but now…” Fujiko burst into tears again. “I feel so awful!” she said into Miranda’s shoulder as she continued to weep.
“Shhh…” Miranda hushed her. “Don’t worry about him. You cheer up, hear me? It’ll be OK…” Fujiko sighed and simply let herself relax in her friend’s embrace; she didn’t know what she would do without her. She wondered to herself if Miranda knew that—probably not. No one realizes it when they’re an absolutely amazing friend and a beautiful person.
“As Shakespeare would say, “Sweet are the uses of adversity,” right?” Miranda told me quietly. “You’ll both grow from this. He’ll learn to be a stronger person by himself. You’ll learn to do what’s best for you and not regret it; cheer up.” Fujiko thought about this.
“Yeah… I guess so.” She sat up and wiped her eyes. Miranda smiled at her—Fujiko worked up a smile to give back to her.
“Feel better?”
“Yes. Thanks.” They embraced like the loving friends they were; Fujiko pulled away again and looked out the window. The dark nighttime scenery flashed by; she saw the skyscrapers and bridges, the water sparkling with reflected light. Miranda’s right. She thought. “Sweet are the uses of adversity”… It’s true. He’ll live; I will, too. We’ll both be better off for the experiences we’ve had with each other, good and bad. We’ll learn from everything that’s happened and live our lives. Fujiko smiled as she thought of another good quote: “Destructiveness is the outcome of unlived lives.” That’s true, too. He needs to live his life; that will be better for him.
“Hey Fujiko, look at that cloud!!!” Miranda excitedly jumped up and down, pointing to a cloud that was barely visible in the dark sky. Fujiko squinted past her finger, just above it to the cloud that looked like a heart growing up from a rose’s stem.
“Isn’t that the coolest thing you’ve ever seen?” Miranda’s jubilant smile intoxicated Fujiko into a broad smile.
“Yeah,” she answered, relaxing into her seat. “It’s awesome.” And I’m going to take it as a good omen, too. Fujiko thought with a smile. She rested her head on Miranda’s shoulder and peacefully fell asleep.

1 comment:

  1. just wanted you to kno that i read urs too. i made another one if u want to read it..

    ReplyDelete